Friday, February 17, 2012

Luigi's House in Aurora, IL

     I decided to take my girlfriend to Luigi's House for Valentines Day. I made reservation for the "starlight" room which is, according to their website,  one of their "most distinctive and romantic dining areas". I left Luigi's house with mixed feelings. 

     Luigi's House is located in a desirable location. The warm atmosphere was welcoming, service was adequate, servings were sufficient, and price range was reasonable. However, the food was rather mediocre.
     Located at 778 North Route 59, Luigi's House is just south of Liberty Street. I could smell the Italian aroma while walking up to the building. Upon entering the building, we were greeted and immediately seated in the "starlight" room as requested. The dim lights gave the restaurant a relaxing ambiance.
     As we took our seats in the "starlight" room, I glanced up at the ceiling and noticed the "stars" were essentially tiny white Christmas lights behind a layer of tinted glass. This was a lame attempt to make a romantic decoration. There was an oil candle already lit at the table which was nice. The tables seemed to be a bit to close for comfort. However, the atmosphere was relaxing, although the "starlight" room was hardly romantic. I'm not to picky about where we eat, but if you wanted a classy romantic dinner I would suggest looking elsewhere.
     After being seated, we were quickly served a basket of oven-fresh bread which I found to be delicious.  The waiter was friendly and answered our questions about a few dishes. The service was speedy, and when we finished our bread, more bread was quickly served. We both ordered the Pasta e Fagioli soup which we enjoyed. It was served hot and the beans were cooked to perfection.
      For our entrees, we both ordered the Baked Chicken Ravioli. The homemade ravioli-noodle was delicious and the portion size was enormous. We probably could have split one order between the two of us. The Alfredo sauce was savory and baked to a golden brown which gave it a little crisp. The chicken was the downfall of the dish. I expected the chicken to be shredded or thinly diced but instead it was ground chicken. The texture of the chicken was similar to the texture ricotta cheese. Also, the chicken was relatively tasteless and undesirable dry. It clearly needed some better seasoning. Overall, the dish was sub-par.  I would refrain from ordering it again, regardless of the portion size.
     Altogether, our meal cost around $50.00 which is reasonable. Luigi's House was satisfying until our entree was served. Because this is the most important part of the experience, Luigi's House was a disappointment. But if the entree was up to standards, I would have been satisfied.  I would definitely recommend ordering a different dish. Personally, I will dine there again and try a different entree. Perhaps, then I will change the rating but for now I'm giving Luigi's House a 6 out of 10.

6/10-mediocre
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment